I got an e-mail from MoveOn.org asking me to post the text below on my blog. I don't think MoveOn.org has the slightest idea whether or not I have a blog — I think they assumed that so many people do have blogs that a message aimed at their entire e-mail list would hit enough bloggers to be worth the shot.
In any case I'm happy to comply with their request:
TOP 5 REASONS OBAMA SUPPORTERS SHOULDN'T REST EASY
1. The polls may be wrong. This is an unprecedented election. No one knows how racism
may affect what voters tell pollsters—or what they do in the voting booth. And the polls are narrowing anyway. In the
last few days, John McCain has gained ground in most national polls, as his campaign has gone even more negative.
2. Dirty tricks. Republicans are already illegally purging voters from the rolls
in some states. They're whipping up hysteria over ACORN to justify more challenges to new voters. Misleading flyers about
the voting process have started appearing in black neighborhoods. And of course, many counties still use unsecure voting
3. October surprise. In politics, [a week] is a long time. The next McCain smear could
dominate the news for a week. There could be a crisis with Iran, or Bin Laden could release another tape, or worse.
4. Those who forget history… In 2000, Al Gore won the popular vote after trailing
by seven points in the final days of the race. In 1980, Reagan was eight points down in the polls in late October and came
back to win. Races can shift—fast!
5. Landslide. Even with Barack Obama in the White House, passing universal health care and a new clean-energy policy
is going to be hard. Insurance, drug and oil companies will fight us every step of the way. We need the kind of landslide
that will give Barack a huge mandate.
If you agree that we shouldn't rest easy, please sign up to volunteer at your local Obama
office by clicking here:
If you've got a blog, why not post the above list and link on it? If you don't, why not paste them into an e-mail and send them to all your friends?