guess this is sort of the blogosphere version of a chain letter, but
someone got the idea of posting eight random facts about himself on his
blog and inviting eight other bloggers to do the same, and urging each
of the eight other bloggers to invite eight additional bloggers to join the enterprise.
Here are the rules:
1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged write their own blog post about their eight things and include these rules.
At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged
and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them
they’re tagged and that they should read your blog.
For some reason I got nominated by flickhead, so here goes:
1. I once played baseball in Yankee Stadium, back in the early
Seventies, in the old park, before it was remodeled. I won a
contest hosted by George Plimpton in which fans were asked to write in
telling why they wanted to play ball in the House That Ruth
Built. The winners played an abbreviated exhibition game before the
regular game against a team of former Yankee all-stars. I wore
Thurman Munsons's uniform, came to bat once and faced Whitey Ford on
the mound — he was lobbing them in underhand to Joe Garagiola behind
the plate. I grounded out to Mickey Mantle who was playing first.
2. I have always hated the Yankees and rooted for the Mets.
3. I have crossed the North Atlantic three times in the dead of winter on a freighter.
4. I feel guilty about how much I love boxing.
5. I was born on the stroke of midnight. My mother had to decide which day would be recorded as my birthday.
6. The first word I ever spoke was “light”.
7. I always eat strawberry shortcake on my birthday — always.
8. I think oysters are the food of the gods but I never eat them
in months without r's in them. Right now I'm missing them
And my nominations of other bloggers are:
Amy Crehore of Little Hokum Rag
Tony D'Ambra of films noir
Robert Nagle of Idiotprogrammer
Andre Soares of the Alternate Film Guide
Paul Zahl of PZ's Picks
Burke Hilsabeck of The Hefty Section
I realize this is all kind of silly, but flickhead's post led me to
some interesting blogs I didn't know about, and maybe mine will lead
you to some, too.